Culloden Battlefield, Clava Cairns, Kessock Bridge, Inverness and the Moray Firth from Saddle Hill at Clava. Easter 2018.
The Port of Inverness is one of the major economic hubs of the Highlands providing a vital gateway for companies in the north both to export and import a wide variety of goods and it has been at the heart of the city's growth and expansion. It is one of Scotland’s most sheltered natural deep water harbours and as a result the port can offer ships almost guaranteed access irrespective of the weather.
Muirtown Basin is a large port area on the Caledonian Canal just above the first (sea) Lock where the Caledonian Canal meets the Beauly Firth.
This area houses a small marina and is popular for waterspouts with local sea scouts being based nearby.
The Caledonian Canal begins at Clachnaharry, connecting to the Beauly Firth via a sea lock. The Far North Railway Line also passes through, crossing the canal on a swing bridge. Clachnaharry used to have a railway station. This station opened in 1869 on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway, and was the first stop after leaving Inverness, but closed in 1913.