Cromarty is a seaport on the southern shore of the mouth of Cromarty Firth, 5 miles seaward from Invergordon on the opposite coast. Until 1890 it was the county town of the former county of Cromartyshire.
The town grew around its port, formerly used by ferries, to export locally-grown hemp fibre, and by trawlers trawling for herrings. The port was a British naval base during the First World War and HMS Natal blew up close by on 30 December 1915 with heavy loss of life.
The port was home to Britain's smallest vehicle ferry, the Cromarty Rose, running across the Firth to Nigg. The entrance to the Cromarty Firth is guarded by the Souters, two large cliffs that can be seen for many miles away and were previously fortified.